**Visit our couponing blog where you can still find all our BEST couponing deals all in one spot. Learn how to get most everything for FREE or less than $1 at SASS!** Click here to go now

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Seeing Spots :(

Oh my, I know many of you have also had your experiences with red stains in the carpet! It is one of the most dreaded things to have happen, and the hardest to remove.
I don't know about you, but I have wasted a small fortune on so many different cleaning products that supposedly will get out the stains. NONE of them have worked.

Well, I finally found a solution that will work, or at least GREATLY reduce the little red monsters from your carpet. When I first read about it, I was extremely skeptical and to be honest, downright scared to try it!

You will need a clothing iron, a white towel, and either a solution of half ammonia and half water, or a bowl of water with just a few drops of dishwashing soap mixed in.

This advice is from a professional carpet cleaner, so I really wanted to try it, but like I said before, I was really nervous about using an Iron on my carpet. Don't worry, it won't melt the carpet, if you do it correctly, anyways.

The thing to remember is that you don't apply the iron directly to the carpet. Instead, put a small amount of the water solution on the stain. Place the white towel over the wet spot, then place the hot iron on top of the towel, making sure the iron is not hanging over the edge of the towel. Let it sit there for a minute, then lift up the towel and check if the stain is starting to transfer to the towel.

The trick, they say, is patience. It is recommended to let the iron sit on the spot over the towel for several minutes to allow it to soak up the stain. Hwever, Patience, I am not. I worry too much about melting the carpet, so of course I lift it up and check it every minute LOL. I also kept re-applying more of the water solution to the spot, once it seemed to be soaked up by the towel.

It worked really well and now the spots are either gone or barely perceptable.
I even used this trick on an orange stain and I am going to try it later on a black stain I have on a rug, to see what happens..

Proceed at your own risk, but I do recommend this as it worked millions of times better than any carpet/stain cleaner I have tried. If you are worried about it lightening your carpet's color, some people have tried this method using just water and said it worked, even when a professional cleaning did not.

I have also heard of using a mixture with peroxide in it, and using a bit of Rit dye remover. I haven't tried either of these, but I don't think I would unless I had really really light colored carpet.

Let me know how this tip worked for you!

On another note altogether, visit this link to learn how to use Kool-aid to make a cool Tie-dye shirt! Just do it outside, not on your carpet :)

2 comments:

SouthfieldFam said...

I am too chicken to take an iron to my carpet! Bravo to you for being so brave! I have a chem-dry carpet spray that takes EVERYTHING out! Even red gatoraid that spilled while Kenzie was in the NICU and I didn't get home to take care of it for 11 days! Reid dried it, but forget to spray anything on it and my spray got it out!

froginpigtails said...

ok so where do i get that and how much does it cost? LOL