**Visit our couponing blog where you can still find all our BEST couponing deals all in one spot. Learn how to get most everything for FREE or less than $1 at SASS!** Click here to go now

Tuesday, July 8, 2008

BabyBorrower rant


Ok, so if you haven't heard already:
"BabyBorrowers is a unique social experiment that takes five teenage couples on a rollercoaster ride of adult responsibility, allowing them to experience parenting firsthand. Desperate to have their own life and family, our lovebirds are thrown in at the deep end. They're given real houses and real responsibilities"(nbc.com)

I really had no interest whatsoever in watching this show, when the previews started playing on television. Once I read that it was actually being filmed in Eagle, Idaho, I decided to watch it at least once to see where they are filming looked like. Why did I care? Well, it is "next door" to where I live, just outside of Boise.
The info I read said that the show would be filmed in a brand new subdivision. Hmm.. I live in a new subdivision too so I was curious to see what kind of environment these teens would really be living in.

So, I set my DVR to record an episode, which turned out to be the second episode. I watched it just the other day and I was extremely disappointed in this "real-life" experiment. I would not say they were thrown in at the deep end, unless it was the deep end of a money pit!

It's just my opinion, but having experienced life thus far, their living situation/environment is so very far from being realistic, it's almost maddening.
I don't know where you are all from, but the planet I live on, just could not relate to the "reality" of this show.

Not only are they living in a brand new subdivision, but the yards are spacious, not to mention perfectly groomed and of course the houses are also fully furnished with the nicest things. Every sofa I saw was leather, and each house has several, just for one example. There is also a large park and play equipment in their backyards.


Was there a shortage of one story, two bedroom houses, or cramped apartments out there in the USA?? Where are the used furnishings? It just does not come off as very realistic to me. This is only my opinion.

They should have had them still living at home, dealing with school, parents, having a baby and trying to find a job, let alone finding out how they are going to GET to work! On the show, they get to enjoy the best of amenities, jobs were found for them, transportation is provided to/from work, nanny assistance, etc. Also, three days with an infant is not nearly long enough.
I think the "deep end" of this show appears way too shallow. I have only watched a couple of episodes so this is my initial impression of the show.

All I really know for sure, is that I would never "loan" out MY baby.. call me over-protective if you like, but that's my reality.

2 comments:

SouthfieldFam said...

I agree! I have seen pieces of the show and it seems to me like iot would be a step up for most of the families I know! I wouldn't hand my baby over either, and the first time they screwed up, I would be grabbing my kid and running for the hills!

Jonas said...

Amen Sister!